Friday, March 15, 2013

Not So Nellie: Fixing Up an American Girl Doll

Hello there!

Welcome to my American Girl blog. I am really excited to share my dolls and our adventures with you! I won't go into detail on this post but will definitely have an introductory post soon. This one here is to tell you all about a doll that I came across on Craigslist!


You may be wondering why this post is called "Not So Nellie". Well let me explain! Recently I decided that it would be nice to browse Craigslist looking for loved dolls. I have come across quite a few amazing deals but some how I am never first to respond! Well, that luck changed when I came across a listing for a $65 Nellie doll. I was really excited to get a response that I had been the first to email her and that she would like to meet so I could pick up Nellie. Well, we did just that.

When I got to the Starbucks I picked a table to sit and wait, after wondering if the girl was there she sent me an email saying she was sitting in the Starbucks as well! I turned around and she happened to be sitting right next to me. After introductions, she pulled "Nellie" out of her bag. Wasn't her! It was definitely an American Girl doll (in awful condition I might add) but was most definitely not Nellie. I decided that I would pass on her. When I said that, the girl said she just wanted to get rid of her and asked if I would pay $20 for her. "SURE! Why not?!" I said to myself. A $20 AG doll, that's definitely a steal.

After getting into my car I did some more investigation of the doll. What I thought was just a messy head of hair turned out to be a bit more. She had some white streaks on her legs and unfortunately one of her eyes had sank into her head a bit and wasn't working properly. That's when I decided that maybe I shouldn't have spent $20 on this doll, what a waste!

Driving home I had a change of heart. Maybe I could have fun with this! I got home and decided I would do an "Extreme Makeover: Doll Edition" lol!  So here I am, writing to all of you about my little project. I will share some pictures now of this doll that I picked up from CL.

Words of Advise: Please do not meet people from Craigslist without a parent if you are under age. I am older than 18 years old and we met at a public place. It is NEVER safe to meet with someone from the internet in an unknown location, especially without an adult! Please please please keep this in mind!



Now on to the good stuff! Pictures!





Here she is! She looks like she has seen better days!

 As you can see - Her left eye is definitely not right.


 I bet she was a beautiful doll when she was new! Does anyone know what JLY she is?

 Now this is what you call a bad hair day!

I think my mom would have had a heart attack if my hair ever looked like this! Wish me luck!




More posts coming soon! Thanks for reading.

xoxo Jessica

2 comments:

  1. I have a Nellie doll (actually two) and yours has the right freckles/face/eyes, but the hair and dress would identify her as a much loved "Emily" doll. Did you ever fix her up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a Nicki doll in Emily's dress. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete